1893 -1935Pre-war

In detail

A club is formed

Headington FC were formed in 1893 in the Britannia Inn when by Rev. John Scott-Tucker, the vicar at Saint Andrew's Church, and a local doctor named Robert Hitchings decided to form a team as a way for the cricketers of Headington Cricket Club to maintain their fitness during the winter break. The suffix United was added in 1911 after merging with Headington Quarry and the club moved from Junior to Senior football in 1921, joining the Oxfordshire Senior League.


A large expense

Headington United accounts, 1931. This shows the payments to the Oxford Bus Company.

Most successful season

War stops play

The 1913/14 season proved to be Headington United’s best to date, as they reached two cup finals. However, hopes of a real upturn in fortunes were to be dashed and, on September 24 1914, it was impossible for United to field a team since nine first-team players were on active service.